Friday, May 9, 2014

Bead Soup Blog Party, 2014!!

It has arrived! The Bead Soup Blog Party Arranged and Coordinated by the amazing Lori Anderson! This year I had the wonderful opportunity to trade Bead Soups with the wonderful Maria Sharrow of Willow Street Shops. I love that the Bead Soup Blog Party is about pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and stretching your skills. I"ll admit that stringing is not a strength of mine. Asymetrical/Symetrical, clasp, wire, crimps, crimp cover or not, So many questions and answers....So what could have been simple, really pushed me out of my "zone".

My first piece I wanted to focus on the iridescent colors of the feather. In the shade it looks dark, but get a bit of light on it, and you can see blues, greens and lots of shininess! I worked several different versions of kumihimo trying to incorporate some shiny threads. It worked, but now to decide, Kumihimo on the top, Kumihimo on the bottom? Clasp on the back, on the side? And this is what I came up with. and I really like how it turned out..



My second challenge was prying the moth wing pendant from my 7yo dd's hands!! I finally had to agree that it could be hers for special occassions. She already has worn it to school for her birthday! Here are pictures!


I also wanted to use some of the gemstones Maria sent to me. Since I was on a kumihimo kick, I paired the stones with celtic knots and a strand of kumihimo.


And last but not least, some earrings to go with the necklaces!


Thank you Maria and thank you to everyone for stopping by! Click HERE for the list of blogs!!


28 comments:

Shai Williams said...

Don't you just love Maria's focals? I had her for a partner in the a couple years ago.

Just love the first necklace. It has such a glow about it.

Chandra Merod said...

I love the first piece! It's so beautiful and the clasp is great too. Happy Bead Soup Blog Party!

Unknown said...

I love your pieces. I think my children would be drawn to these pendants too.

laurie said...

Happy Mother's Day! Great pieces! Love that you had to pry away the moth wings from your 7 year old!

Kym Hunter Designs said...

Very nice! I love the darker necklace. Very dramatic looking.

Sarah said...

That first necklace is incredibly elegant - I love the way the chain matches the shimmer of the feather. Great work!

Mary Ellen Merrigan said...

Your creations really flow. The kumihimo picks up the movement/lines of the feather, etc. Beautiful work. Happy Mother's Day!

Maria Rosa Sharrow said...

Marge,
I love what you did with the feather I just knew that you would add some sort of fiber to your pieces.
I am so glad that your little one was able to enjoy one of my pendants turned into something beautiful for her.
I want to thank you for being my partner it was a pleasure getting to know you.
Happy Mother's Day!!
~Maria Rosa

Maria Rosa Sharrow said...

Marge,
I love what you did with the feather I just knew that you would add some sort of fiber to your pieces.
I am so glad that your little one was able to enjoy one of my pendants turned into something beautiful for her.
I want to thank you for being my partner it was a pleasure getting to know you.
Happy Mother's Day!!
~Maria Rosa

Unknown said...

I love those pendant your received and the creations you made with your soup.

Tammy Adams said...

Lovely work. Can't blame your daughter for striking a hard bargain over the pendant.

vovsblog said...

Such lovely work well done!

Unknown said...

Beautiful work! I just took a class in kumihimo last summer and fell in love with it. There is something so soothing about making it -- and then the reward is lovely in jewelry! Too sweet that your daughter just had to have the moth wing. When a piece chooses it's owner, it's best to just go with it! :)

Jami aka DaMamaShipp said...

Oh my such beautiful work! The first one has depth and is strikingly dramatic, the second is earthy and free! I love them both.

Margareta said...

Lovely first piece! The bracelet with kumihimo is my favourite though :-)

roomforchange said...

I love those Wing Focals!! They are amazing and you have created fantastic necklaces from them!!

Kumi Fisher said...

The first necklace with the blue wing pendant is just stunning! Beautiful work!

Rachel said...

Wonderful soup and love what you did with that first necklace!

Kokopelli said...

Those necklaces are gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Those necklaces are beautiful. I love your incorporation of the kumihimo. Aren't the possibilities endless? Making decisions on how to go is the hardest part. Sometimes there is only one way to go, but more often, the decisions.....Great job.

min said...

the focals you got are so unique! The first piece is especially pretty but i favourite is actually the bracelet.

PiPa said...

Cool focals, love how you used them and love the kumihimo on the bracelet!

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

Gorgeous and unique designs, Marge! No wonder your little one had her eye on that necklace :)

bailaora said...

so original focals!you added super beads and compilation is very succesfull, first necklace is my fav!!

sheilaposter said...

What intrigueing pendants. Your necklaces matched them up nicely

Just Beads said...

The first necklace is so beautiful. Love the iridescent colours of the feather and the beads. The position of the clasp is really perfect.

Jael said...

That feather is my favorite! So nice of you to share with your child ;)

Kari Asbury said...

Gorgeous pieces! I can see why you had to promise your daughter the moth wing for special occasions...very pretty!